SReject   -  Sep 14, 2013

So now that WMP has started to annoy me ("whaaaa?! you use WMP?!), Im looking for a new media player and am looking for suggestions.

I try/use a few different players but currently haven't found a replacement for 'everyday' use, and here's why:

winamp:
1: Too busy/much stuff. Im looking for a minimalistic type media player and winamp is far to busy.

VLC (my go-to for movies):
1: For a casual music player, it has far more than what I would ever need.
2: Library. VLC is GREAT for playing files one at a time, but it's library functions are lacking imo.

Foobar (my runner up to WMP):
1: After installing, its tedious to get the GUI and settings JUST the way I like them, and between major updates, these settings are often reset.
2: Library. Has the same issue as VLC as far as library options is concerned.

All 3 of these have one major issue that has to be surpassed before I could even consider using them and that is they have to be able to read/play media from a windows mapped network drive. Winamp & VLC's support is shacky at best, and foobar is moody about it.

What media players do you all use? any plugins for the above mentioned to possibly form them to my wants?

MaSOuD  -  Sep 16, 2013

I use Winamp for audio and VLC for video. Both of them are kinda minimal and efficient.
(Winamp note: Just change the Skin to "Classic" one and that's everything you need :P)

Jonesy44  -  Sep 28, 2013

VLC For Video - No brainer, quite handy as a minimalistic Music player too. But I favour iTunes/Spotify personally.

Sign in to comment

Are you sure you want to unfollow this person?
Are you sure you want to delete this?
Click "Unsubscribe" to stop receiving notices pertaining to this post.
Click "Subscribe" to resume notices pertaining to this post.